Inner Banner Image

Employment Based Petitions

Many people are able to obtain visas to enter the United States to live permanently as immigrants based on and petition for an employer or family member who sponsors them.

Others have employers who petition to enter the United States to live temporarily as nonimmigrants because they have specialized knowledge; are managers and executives of multinational companies or are needed to do jobs in the United States.

Entering the United States to live permanently or temporarily on your own

In other cases, you may have a great business idea or some skills that can be used to grow and prosper within the United States. Instead of having an employer sponsor you, you may want to file a petition to come to the U.S. on your own so that you can start your business or make investments to live permanently or to enter the United States and live temporarily.

Immigration opportunities and non-immigrant visas are available for many professionals who want to come here to work for themselves or for others. However, there are specific legal steps that need to be taken, which can vary depending on what are the reasons that make you eligible to enter the United States. Monty and Ramirez can help you identify opportunities and apply to enter the US, either to emigrate here or to come to work temporarily.

Options for Immigrants and Non-immigrant Professionals

Professionals who may become eligible to immigrate to the United States based on their skills, knowledge of the business, or business ideas and investments include but are not limited to:

  • individuals with extraordinary abilities
  • multinational managers and executives people with specialized knowledge
  • Investors
  • Businessmen
  • Religious workers

In Houston, Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas, the type of visa to apply for as a professional may vary depending on which of these categories they belong to. For example, a person who comes to the United States to take the steps necessary to open a new business (how getting office space or negotiating a contract) you could get a 1B-Business nonimmigrant visa.

A person with specialized knowledge could apply for an H-1B visa to work for a United States company in an occupation that normally requires a bachelor’s degree or advanced degree and experience.

An O-1A visa is available to people with extraordinary and demonstrable abilities in fields such as science, business, sports, or education, while a treaty investor, E-2 can come to the US on the basis of invest a considerable amount of money in a business.

These are just a few examples of the many ways that someone who is a smart and capable worker or entrepreneur could gain entry to the US An experienced immigration attorney will help you determine if there is an option to obtain a visa based on your business knowledge and skill.

Getting Legal Help on Employment-based Petitions

At Monty and Ramirez, our experienced immigration attorneys in Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth know that coming to the United States to work in a rewarding job or invest in a growing company is the ultimate American dream. Let us help you achieve that dream and secure the right to enter the US on a temporary visa or to stay in the US and move toward becoming a permanent resident. Call or contact us online today to get started and learn more about how we can represent you. At Monty and Ramirez, we know what works®

Contact us

    First Name

    Last Name



    Zip Code

    How would you like to be contacted?

    How can we help you? Briefly describe your legal issue:


    Book a consultation Today