Inner Banner Image

Special Program Requests

Petitions under special programs such as U visas, VAWA, special immigrant minors, TPS and NACARA

There are many different ways that you can obtain a visa to come to the United States temporarily or to begin the process of becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States. For some individuals, special programs are available in cases where the individual faces a danger to their health or safety.

These special programs have strict qualification criteria and do not apply to everyone, but if you or a loved one qualifies, it is important that you are aware of it and take the appropriate steps to obtain a visa. An immigration attorney in Monty and Ramirez can help you determine if you meet the criteria for a special program, and if so, can help you work toward obtaining the legal status that the program offers.

Requests available under special programs:

  • If you or a loved one faces danger in the United States or in your home country, some of the different special programs that may make it possible for you to petition to come to the US, whether temporary or permanently include: U Visa: The U Visa is available so that victims of certain crimes can obtain temporary legal status and eligibility to work in the United States for up to four years. Each fiscal year, 10,000 U visas can be issued in the United States. Whose visas are nonimmigrant and the person applying for the visa may also include family members, such as spouses, unmarried siblings under 18, parents and children
  • Temporary Protected Status: Temporary Protected Status is available when certain foreign countries are designated as unsafe. If there is an open armed conflict, environmental disaster, or some other extraordinary and temporary danger in a person’s home country, that person may be able to remain in the United States and enjoy temporary protection status until they return home. be safe.
  • Violence against women (VAWA): Abused spouses, parents, or children can obtain an immigrant visa without the abuser’s knowledge, provided they meet certain criteria such as being married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who was a abuser or being recently divorced from a United States citizen abuser within two years of the filing date. Petition may be filed by women or men, and unmarried children age 21 and under may be included in the petition
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJ): Foreign children in the US who have been victims of abuse, neglect or neglect can apply for SIJ. Children who obtain a green card through the SIJ program will never be able to apply for a green card for their parents and will not be able to apply for a green card for their siblings until they become a United States citizen.
  • The Nicaraguan Adjustment and the Central American Relief Act (NACARA): Certain individuals who entered the U.S. from El Salvador, the countries of the former Soviet bloc, or Guatemala may be eligible to immigrate if they enter the U.S. and apply for asylum for specific dates or if they register to receive benefits under a settlement agreement in a class action called American Baptist Churches v.

These are just a few of the many special programs that exist to protect people who need to come to the US to escape a bad home situation. Each program has its own qualification criteria and requirements and it is very important that you understand if you are eligible and what you must do to prove it.

Getting Legal Help

At Monty and Ramirez, our experienced immigration attorneys know the pros and cons of immigration law and can help you apply for immigration through any program for which the criteria may be met. Give us a call or contact us online for more information. At Monty and Ramirez, we know what works. ®

Contact us

    First Name

    Last Name



    Zip Code

    How would you like to be contacted?

    How can we help you? Briefly describe your legal issue:


    Book a consultation Today